Monday, December 13, 2010

Advocacy Project: Uncovering the facts about cancer

Uncovering the Facts about Cancer
Purpose: 
To help people learn the facts about Cancer and how it can best be prevented. Completing this activity will provide students with the knowledge they need to start making lifestyle changes (if necessary) to help protect themselves against different types of cancer. This activity will also provide basic info about cancer and will allow students to search for and discover cancer-related information that is most interesting and of value to them individually. 

-Visit the WebMD webpage related to cancer and read up about cancer, it's effects, why it's so harmful, etc.

-Go to the American Cancer Society web page and read about known causes of cancer 

-Check out the webpage from preventcancer.org and read about some of the best ways people can protect themselves, their family, and their friends from cancer.  
Instructions:
1. First visit the WebMD webpage related to cancer and find 3 facts about cancer that interest you or that you never knew. 
2. Next, visit the American Cancer Society Cancer causes webpage and read about the different known causes of cancer. Be able to list 3. 
3. Once you feel you know what the causes/ risk factors are for cancer, go to this webpage  from Preventcancer.org and read about things you can do to reduce your risk for cancer. 

4. Report 3 common causes of cancer and describe 3 of the ways you think you could best protect YOURSELF against cancer. If you already meet all the criteria, discuss changes you think are the most helpful in general

6 comments:

  1. This learning activity taught me a lot about different cancers and how to protect myself against cancer.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Emily! I found that smoking, genetics and diet are factors that influence the development of cancer. To avoid cancer one should eat green (less red meat), Stop smoking and be active! Great activity em!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The websites you posted above provide great facts and preventative measures to take when it comes to cancer. It is crazy how many cancers there are out there. I need to make sure I know how to screen for the different types of cancers so I can protect myself and educate others to do the same.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is great! I really found the websites useful because they have lots of facts and information. I like how the activities all relate and connect to prevention in the end. good job!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, I found a lot of information that i didnt know before! I never knew that there is over 1000 cancer clusters in America! Some of the stuff I found was crazy! I really learned a ton. I also didnt realize there is over 100 types of cancer out there. It's really sad to read that.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I really enjoyed doing this activity and I learned a lot along the way. One thing that never even occurred to me was male breast cancer. It was interesting to read up on this and many other types of cancer as I completed your activity. I loved that you made this activity something that was an individual experience. Meaning that everyone could personalize what they learned about. Nice job.

    ReplyDelete