Wednesday, December 15, 2010

Eye Opener: Online Learning Activities

Learning Activities-
Heidi:
Take childhood obesity quiz and report results/what was learned. 
I got 90% on this quiz about childhood obesity. I learned that being overweight at an early age has a lot of risks, including increased risk of hypertension and diabetes and it also makes it much more likely that an individual will be overweight later on in life. 
Mary:
Read 2 articles related to health reform and health insurance, watch a short video and play the game “bet your health”. 
I thought the article related to pros and cons of health reform was really interesting! As a health educator I’m ashamed to admit that I didn’t know too much of this info before doing this learning activity. I didn’t know that the new health plan would allow extended coverage for people with pre-existing conditions (I think that’s pretty cool) and I also think it’s awesome that the new plan would require free prevention and wellness benefits. I think that’s a great idea and could be so helpful in making our country healthier. 
Brier:
Watch videos and review the links provided and report 5 things learned, including reasons why you don’t smoke. 
1. Smoking costs Minnesota 3 billion dollars in health care costs
2. Tobacco causes 5,500 deaths in Minnesota annually
3. Smoking accounts for almost 1 in every 5 deaths in the United States annually
4. The tobacco industry spends over 100 million dollars a year just to market to Minnesota
5. Smoking is responsible for the leading cause of death in the United States- Coronary heart disease
I don’t smoke cigarettes because my parents smoked them when I was growing up and it set a great example of what NOT to do. 
Molly:
Read the articles provided and post a short reflection regarding chemical (BPA) regulation. 
I am definitely in favor of more rigid regulations for chemical use, especially in products and packaging that babies are exposed to! I’m amazed that babies can be exposed to levels of BPA that were higher than levels that caused serious side effects in animal studies. These babies are our future, yet we’re knowingly exposing them to harmful chemicals on a daily basis in infant formulas. It’s time to re-evaluate our chemical regulations. 
Kristen:
Read the articles posted on her blog then complete the crossword puzzle provided in a link.
Answers:
1. Air Quality Index
2.Air Toxics
3.Mobile Sources
4.asthma
5. carbon monoxide
6.EPA
Alicia
Read the following article and identify 3 myths and why they are myths about emergency contraception. List 3 places you can find emergency contraception.
1.Myth: Emergency contraception is the abortion pill. In reality, emergency contraception is a form of birth control that stops pregnancy before it occurs. In fact, emergency contraception does not work if conception has occurred.
2.Myth: Emergency contraception will harm my health. Emergency contraception is less hazardous than regular combination birth control methods.
3. Myth: I’m underage and I can’t get my parent’s consent. In reality, in most areas birth control can be provided to individuals under age. It is not required to obtain parental consent. 
Places where one can find emergency contraception:
Planned Parenthood
Women’s Health Center
Essentia

4 comments:

  1. Good job getting 100% on my activity! I hope you learned a little about emergency contraception. I know I learned a lot from everyone's topics. Some of the facts about BPA in formula, cancer and obesity statistics, air quality, and health insurance had great information that I never realized.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like all the awesome facts you found for me smoking activity! Those facts never stop amazing me. I learned a ton from these activities, and it seems like you learned a lot as well. Good job!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I learned a lot while doing the advocacy project too. You are not the only one who learned about the health reform and health insurance in general.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great job Emily. I too was a little embarrassed after doing Mary's activity. That was definitely one topic that I do not know much about. I also got a 90% on Heidi's Quiz but I thought that it was a great quiz to refresh my knowledge. Nice job on the crossword puzzle too!

    ReplyDelete