Friday, December 17, 2010

Reflection weeks 13-14 and Overall Course

Good Will!

Touring the Good Will here in Duluth was a great learning activity. We got to see the operations that go down behind the scenes, and I thought it was really cool to learn more about the great things this organization does for the community (like enabling and employing individuals with disabilities). This really made me feel good about shopping at Good Will. 

Lifestyle change finale!

In week 14 we all wrapped up our eco-chic lifestyle changes/SMART goals. It was great to hear that many of us plan on continuing with our lifestyle changes- that shows that this assignment was really valuable and practical. I know I learned a lot just from reading about the changes other blog group members had chosen. I think reading other people’s posts was a good way to prepare in case I someday decide to make any of the same changes my group members made. 

Advocating! 

To wrap up our advocacy projects we all created learning activities for other blog members to complete. The learning activities were all very informative but also fun and I thought this activity helped solidify a lot of the things we learned in these advocacy projects.  

Junk! 

I think we all had a lot of fun with our junking projects! This was a really cool way to drive home the idea of recycling but in a different way than I think many of us were used to. This activity let us all express our creativity in a useful way and I had a great time seeing what other people did for their projects. I thought it was fun to see all the possible ways to re-use old items and make something new! I know my hat hanger is going to come in handy this winter! 




I think overall what I learned from this class was that little changes and little things we do every day can make a difference. There are SO many issues with our environment (as we’ve learned about in class) that it can seem like it would be difficult to tackle them all, or difficult to make a difference. This class really showed me that the little changes I make DO make a difference, even if it’s just a small one. I also learned the importance of being aware of these issues, and how spreading the word to just a small group of people can actually be very influential. I learned so much from this course but I still feel like it’s just the tip of the ice berg and I plan on learning more about a lot of these issues we discussed in class in the future. I feel much more aware and educated now that I have taken this course. 

2 comments:

  1. Your junking project was so cute and creative! It looks great hanging on the wall. I couldn't agree with you more on Goodwill. It makes me feel great to support their business because of how much they help others. They literally reuse everything! When something doesn't sell they ship somewhere else where it will for sure be used. They are just amazing! Also, it is so true that the little things make the biggest differences. If we start appreciating what we have now there might be time to change the future around for other generations.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really liked your junking project! I thought that was a very good way to make use of an old item. I agree with how this is just the tip of the iceberg. There's still a lot more to do. Starting with us, we can share the change to our friends and they can do that to another group of people who will continue the pattern. Good luck and let's make this happen!

    ReplyDelete